We’ve been super busy at the bungalow, so I haven’t updated you in a while. We took the last weekend off for Big Weekend and an important trip to London, then on Monday had to crash out to recover.
I caught up on Mr.Norrell and Jonathan Strange, though, which is amazing. I’m hoping it won’t distract me too much from here!
Our master bedroom is about 80% there. It needs dressing, and some new furniture, but the decor is done. It was hard work!
We started out with a room covered, and I mean, COVERED, in textured wallpaper. Now, we love retro but this was too much.
We did, however, like the grey carpet. It looks a little dull in this picture, but it’s pretty new. So our first job was to pull it up and shove it in the spare room to keep it clean. Then, we tackled the wallpaper.
It was messy, hot and stinky. We used a steamer to help peel it off, and with four of us working on it we had it done in the day. We had plenty of scrapers and had to keep the windows and doors open. At one point, it was like a sauna!
We went round after making sure all the tiny remnants were removed. As you can see above, we have a nice big hole in the wall. This was left by an old air brick which we removed. It wasn’t serving any purpose, so we blocked it up.
You can also see the old burglar alarm dangling! We had to take this out. You can see where we had to fill A LOT of holes in the wall. There were a few cracks and marks left by previous decor. We also had to strip all the delightful lining paper from the ceiling.
By the way, Andrew’s not an enormous giant. He’s on a step-up stool. The ceiling paper peeled off pretty easy after spending the whole day covered in steam! We had the whole room stripped in our first weekend. The filling and sanding took way longer! We also had the job of adding a new double socket for our bedside table, which I’ll go into on another post. You can see them both here. And Henry…
So, with a new socket and filled and sanded walls, came the fun part. This was about two weeks after we first stripped the walls and ceiling. PAINTING!
You can see where we’ve filled around the sockets (hard work) and cut in. Andrew rolls on the first bit of bright white. It took a good three coats to cover all the marks. We then decided to go for a blue feature wall, and settled on Stiffkey Blue by Farrow and Ball. The ceiling and coving we did first, followed by the walls then skirting.
We’ve moved in now, so I’ll share some final finished pictures soon. I promise!